Ms Lan Yang – Class of Bachelor of Environmental Engineering, 2016 & Class of Ph.D. Environmental, 2020

Profile Picture Of Lan Yang

Ms Lan Yang

Research fellow, NERI, NUS

Class of PhD Environmental, 2020

Class of Bachelor of Environmental Engineering, 2016

What made you choose the course in NUS over other courses?

I choose NUS as it is well recognised in Asia. All along, I have been concerned about environmental issues such as pollution and global warming. Environmental Engineering equipped me with the skills and knowledge to resolve technical challenges with creative solutions.

What do you like most about the course and NUS?

Environmental Engineering is an interdisciplinary course with broad exposure. It equips me with technical understanding of various aspects of the environment including air, water and soil.  Through this course, I got to know numerous professors who are knowledgeable, helpful and taught us beyond their technical expertise. It’s a lovely community.

What other activities / programmes were you involved in?

Industrial Attachment Programme @ Xylem Water Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd

I did my industrial attachment (IA) at Xylem Water Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd for 24 weeks. My job scope includes operating, maintaining and repairing mobile and stationary pilot test equipment associated with the company’s water treatment units. The industrial exposure has helped me greatly during my Design Project and Final Year Project; more importantly, it provides me with a taste of corporate research and connected me with peers whom I can seek advice from.

How has the course helped you in your everyday/work life?

I completed my PhD study in December 2020, focusing on the characterization of peat-forest burning smoke in Southeast Asia and health impacts associated with urban PM2.5. My current job scope involves planning and conducting experiments related to research projects on air pollution monitoring and human respiratory health.  With the knowledge I have acquired through my courses, I am able to apply the research methodologies in different domains of expertise and remain open-minded.

What is your like to share with the incoming and current students?

Stay open-minded and seize every opportunity to learn from different people and in different fields. Although specialty is important, breadth and flexibility are more critical nowadays.

Make full use of library resources, especially workshops conducted by librarians and invited speakers on a wide range of topics. Most workshops that I have attended are of superb quality, and they will help in not only your coursework but also your future career.

Train yourself to be organized and start the habit of task tracking/scheduling early. University is the best time to pick up efficient multi-tasking skills, and it will benefit you greatly for the years to come.