Ms Ivana Chen -Class of Bachelor of Environmental Engineering, 2016

Ms Ivana Chen Eve 2016 Profile Picture

Ms Ivana Chen

Engineer, Water and Urban Development,

AECOM Singapore Pte Ltd

Class of Bachelor of Environmental Engineering,2016

What made you choose the course in NUS over other courses?

I believe caring about the environment is caring about our future. We are all living on the earth sharing the ‘unlimited’ resources offered by the nature. However, there are rapid rising of environmental issues that come into our sight during the past decade, like climate change, water scarcity, ocean pollution, air pollution, garbage landfill etc. If we could find new technologies to make the most of the resources and to treat pollution properly, it will make a great difference to our living environment.

With high sense of social responsibility, I feel obliged to become an environmental engineer and to devote myself into this industry, to contribute for a sustainable environment, and also a better future for the next generation.

What you like most about this course in NUS?

The modules I took during my 4 years course have provided me an in-depth learning in multi-disciplines, including chemistry, microbiology, physics, mathematics etc. which allowed me to have a comprehensive understanding of environmental engineering especially in wastewater treatment, solid waste treatment, air quality control. It also shapes my critical thinking and professional ethics when solving problems both in my life and at work.

What other activities/programmes were you involved in?

NUS Lifelong Learners in Hydroinformatics

I signed up for NUS Lifelong Learners program in 2018 as NUS alumni.

My work involved hydraulics design & modelling.I have I always wanted to do  NUS a part-time master programme which specializes in my field of work.

However, part-time master requires to take at least 2-3 modules per semester. Classes are usually on weekday evenings after office hours. Unfortunately, I was not able to commit in view of my workload. This lifelong program required me to attend class once per week.

Through this course my knowledge on Hydroinformatics has broaden. I appreciate the opportunity to learn in an environment with undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Student Exchange Programme (SEP)

I did my SEP in Year 3 semester 2 at Concordia University, Montreal, Canada.

Montreal is in Quebec which is French Quarter. Since I took French language module in Year 3 semester 1 and wanted to further improve, I took French level 2 during SEP.  Being in Montreal, my French improved as I had more opportunities to communicate in French in my daily activities.

I could say that SEP is the one extraordinary time in my life that widened my horizon, changed my values, taught me how to be independent and to embrace the different culture. The experience from SEP has made me more confident and more courageous to follow my inner voice. I’m becoming more adventurous and willing to live my life to the fullest.

How the course has helped you with your everyday/work life? 

I’m currently working as an environmental and civil engineer in construction industry, providing consultancy services to clients in public and private sectors. The course has equipped me with expertise in fundamental civil and environmental principles (hydraulics, basic structural design etc.) and skills (e.g. Microstation, Autocad) to master my work. However, it is still important to pick up new knowledge during on-job training and internships. Growth is a lifelong process.

Any tips for incoming and current students?

Although as student sometimes you may not understand why you are taking some of the modules which may seem irrelevant. Those modules will shape you for the future.

The 4 years of university life is long but also short, explore the thousands of possibilities of your life when you are still young and free.