MSc (MTM) student - Jacob Rose

Jacob graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Oceanography from the United States Naval Academy where he gained hands-on experience through extensive labs and research projects in the field of oceanography. Upon graduating and commissioning as a naval officer, he honed his leadership and technical skills at Stennis Space Center, the hub of naval oceanography, while conducting multiple overseas and domestic hydrographic surveys.

Currently, Jacob is working with the American Bureau of Shipping, where he is dedicated to decarbonizing the maritime sector and guiding shipping companies in meeting regulatory standards as they transition to lower emissions.

As the inaugural recipient of the ASEAN Cableship Award, an award to encourage and recognise NUS's Master of Science (Maritime Technology and Management) graduates who have displayed excellence in their academic studies, Jacob shares, "I am honored and truly grateful to receive the ASEAN Cableship Prize this year. As a former U.S. Naval Hydrographer, I have dedicated my academic and professional life to bettering our collective understanding of the oceans and making them a safer place for all mariners. During my studies with NUS, I have learned a great deal about the current state of the maritime industry and have shifted my focus to sustainability - again with the goal of improving our understanding of the environment and our contributions to it. My goal is to contribute to a future of economic growth that rewards environmental preservation efforts, ensuring that future generations can benefit from our work today. Thank you again for this prestigious award.”

He also shares his aspirations, "(This award) motivates me to continue striving for excellence and to make the world a better place. I hope we can work together sometime in the future to make the surface and subsurface environments safer, cleaner, and better."

Jacob Rose